Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Does a change of cover work?


I had a really interesting communication from MC. Muir, the author of the stirring Under Admiralty Orders series, featuring one of my favorite Napoleonic Era heroes, Oliver Quintrell.

When she first asked Linda Collison's Facebook group ALL THINGS NAUTICAL about the jacket of her new book, the image on the left is the one she showed us.

My comment was that it is very striking (which it is) but that it doesn't shout, this is a book set on sailing ships.

Now, just weeks after release, she has changed the cover to the one below -- with a huge increase in sales.


So SAILS make SALES. (Forgive me, as it has been a long day.)

Interestingly, I found the same situation when I asked my fellow authors at Old Salt Press about the jacket of my latest, Lady Castaways.  I wanted a very plain jacket with a forlorn woman looking out to sea as she sat on a rock.  The consensus was to have one of Ron's ship paintings on the jacket.

Were they right?  Time will tell, as they say.
So which do YOU prefer?

1 comment:

M. C. Muir said...

With 'The Lady Castaways', I think the group at Old Salt Press may be correct. The image of the woman sitting on the rock speaks to me of a rather sad, dejected and desolate older woman - perhaps a widowed fishwife. It says nothing of adventure, courage, tenacity, ambition or seafaring action which I'm sure your stories contain. However, as you say, time will tell. I have ordered the book and look forward to reading it.