Search This Blog

Friday, February 8, 2013

The Apron

Do you remember making an apron in Home Economics at school?
 
Do you actually remember Home Economics?
 
If you do, this will bring back memories ... 
 
 

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few and because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons required less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron..

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the autumn, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.
This was sent to me by a friend, and I am posting it because I think it is cute, but I don't actually agree with the final statement -- "It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that 'old-time apron' that served so many purposes" -- because a quick hunt through google indicates that the apron is making a comeback.  Not only is a barbeque apron a very handy gift for that man in your life who has absolutely everything else, but patterns for pretty aprons abound. 

1 comment:

Judith said...

Someone sent this to me too, and I think it's cute too. I agree with you - I certainly think the apron is making a comeback, in fact I doubt it ever went away completely. I always wear an apron when I'm cooking. I am a messy cook and hate to think of the state of my clothing if I didn't wear one! My current apron (or pinny as my mum calls it) is a rather dashing red-striped butcher's apron, with a big pocket in the front. Very useful and practical!